Sunday, February 15, 2015

Crime and punishment

At the time there were numerous frustrations that started to eat away at me and start me on the path towards leaving once again.

There were a large group of design contractors employed at Dowty and it seemed that because I was spending some time in the CAD room after hours, I was involved in a lot of the banter between them and was learning a lot (again) of what I was missing in the wallet department.

In addition, to help in some of the scheduling of projects in the stress office, the Chief had advised us "senior" stress guys to utilize the jobshoppers more, something that was easier said than done and it became a daily frustration, and counter productive, to have someone else do the work. This may have been their plan, adopt a clueless approach to analysis and have the mini-bosses downgrade the task set.

The third irritant, and this felt more like an ongoing punishment for my past behaviour, was that the Chief appeared (to me) to be actively blocking my happiness, and he was doing this in a very subtle way. I was not being sent out to meetings at other companies, no field trips, no courses and certainly no jollies. If there was a junket to be enjoyed, for the first year or so, you could bet that I was not involved.

And that, more than anything, pissed me right off.

That was perhaps the intention, but the real effect of it all once again started a bit of a deep resentment inside me, first that the contractors were happily enjoying a lot more money, second that they were not taking much responsibility for delegated tasks and thirdly, here I was, worrying about getting reports done in time but it appeared that no one on the corporate ladder appreciated me.

Sob.

I don't know if at the time, throwing a few breadcrumbs my way in the form of a two day course, or a trip up to Montreal to Canadair for a business meeting, would have made anything better. I do know that by about the halfway mark of my tenure I was becoming rather bitter and twisted once again.

So once again, I started to plan my escape.

 

No comments: