Sunday, June 19, 2016

Blazingly fast online speeds.

Aside from a dying motor vehicle, I was still participating in a few of the best bulletin boards in my home town of Osahwa, which was nicknamed the motor city.

The host of the local board, Captain Aries, had convinced me that to continue in a meaningful way on his BBS I should upgrade my modem to the latest and greatest device, the US Robotics HST Dual Standard.
The actual price of the modem is lost in time, but I think it was somewhere around the $900 mark, and of course, the model was upgradeable so that it could communicate faster with other HST modems. The problem being that the online world was changing fast, and very soon, the proprietary ways of achieving blazingly fast download speeds would mean an evolution of the standards and my lump of a modem would be rendered obsolete. I would then need to find more money to continue in a meaningful way.

This process would of course continue for the rest of time.


No comments: