Sunday, December 21, 2008

When I don't believe in Love

Christmas 1975.

It was a time that my Mum and Dad where still at Pottery Lane in Whiston, my Dad close to his roots and my grandad (my mums dad) was still living there, my younger brother Paul was a bright light and my older brother Rob was changing his direction in life by dropping a career at the solicitors office and making waves back at art college.

The little secret that myself and my girlfriend, Janette had, was still a hidden thing, she was pregnant and with great fear I had decided that I would marry her, regardless of our history together. Pages from her diary had been burned and we chose to face the future together and I did believe I was in love.

In truth, abortion had been mentioned, from my side of the fence, but my girlfriend fortunately was a religious person. The termination would have reset the pair of us and we maybe would have stayed together or gone our separate ways, however, if that had happened, the following June a pair of zero deep black eyes and a shock of dark hair would not have been staring up at me from that hospital warming cot.

It was the beginning. and the end of something.

No comments: