Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Music Revisited - Part One

How many times in this life will it happen?

When I was younger music was one of the most important things in my life, a feature (almost) bolted onto my head using these amazing ear things, it always seemed to be available even without the aid of walkmans or ipods or anything else remotely portable.

It was elusive, but I sought it out.

And when music became more portable, it seemed, for me, that the appeal of music became diminished, because, music was being fed into my head while other things were happening, not when I was relaxing on the couch or spread eagled on the floor meditating between two speakers.

(because we had no headphones in our house)

So, bit by bit, because of portability, music became less important to me, not more important.

So in 1990, during all those long, long commutes, I was able to sit back once more and enjoy music, not just soundbites, I was listening to full albums once again, all the way through, and it became vibrant and meaningful once again.

And as life is cyclical, I would lose it once again.

No comments: