Sunday, September 14, 2008

Unjustified

I have been experiencing a lateral shift in my thinking lately, I'm discovering that some topics that I thought relevant in my life have faded, being replaced by a new, fresh bunch, perhaps as a mindset to justify my lifestyle.

The coast life, with all its simplicity, had presented me with a culture shock. The change from a working environment to a retired, relaxed, lifestyle had shaken a lot of the things I felt to be normal in our lives, normal because perhaps we have been educated to think of them that way.

Case in point was a visit to a "mainland" mall yesterday, a hundred or more shops, crammed with consumer candy, all bright and sparkling, calling to be bought, consumed, discarded, rejected. The edifice of all things worked for, fueled by the glossy media pokes and prods, the justification for all our hours in servitude laid out for the taking.

And I found myself walking around completely disinterested, my only thought was of escape, away from the maze, out to the fresh air, back to our "island" here on the Sunshine Coast, back to my reality and what is fast becoming my new friend..

Sanity.

No comments: