Monday, December 31, 2012

End of another Era


I received a package of disks for the Commodore 64 off my old pen pal Tom Hopson in the UK, in his letter though he told me he had bought an Amiga, so, I realized it was the end of that particular era and shopped around for an Amiga 500.

I managed to find an open box unit at the local Oshawa K-Mart, it had a damaged system disk but they found another at the Pickering store, I often wonder what story the guy had who bought that particular Amiga, perhaps it was a chain of damaged/lost disk replacements that went on for months.

So, March 1990 became the month of the Amiga in the household, of course, at first I had no programs whatsoever, but in those pirate like days, that situation was not going to last long, especially as my main sources of disks from the C64 days all seemed to be switching up.

It wasn't long before I had the A501 ram expansion, external floppy drive and dedicated high resolution monitor and at the end of March and start of April, the Toronto Computer Fest and a Ham Radio Flea Market beckoned. 

Like a kid in a candy store I loaded up on stuff for the Amiga, games like I had never seen, fantastic graphics, amazing fun. 

It was the beginning of a never ending upgrade path.

No comments: