Saturday, December 15, 2012

HNC

I was thinking back to my "struggle" to obtain my HNC in Mechanical Engineering back in the late 1970s and as with any story, the consequences of being uprooted from Romford in Essex, leaving my Ford motor company apprenticeship behind at the H1 level and travelling back to the North of England, all led to where I am now.

Wigan College of Technology looks bright and modern from the outside now, but back in the late 1970s it seemed like a very miserable place as I worked towards completing my H2 while working at Gullick Dobson in Ince and living in Skelmersdale. 

It was here that I met Paul Martin, who became a good friend and eventually, through that friendship, I met my future wife. 

It was not that much of a struggle when I reflect on it, in fact, if I put my rosy glasses on, it was a magical journey, filled with adventure, danger, relationship dysfunction and binge drinking.

All part of a normal life. 

No comments: