Saturday, December 15, 2012

Job Shopping

Jumping back to 1990, those early, winter months travelling 100 km each way to Menasco were a nightmare, however, the excitement of earning the big bucks really did overwhelm any discomfort of sitting in traffic every day.

The second day I had written in my diary "I just did not believe it when the alarm went off at 4.53am. Can this be worth it??" and in retrospect, of course it was, however, those first few months of winter driving put a tremendous strain on everything, especially in my tail-happy Ford Mustang.

After a month or so I dropped into the groove and the time slipped by as the routine became normal.

The work was very similar to what I had been doing at Dowty and I was comfortable doing it. In addition, as someone said to me at the time, the faces were different, but the people were the same, which is true in most things in life, you meet people who remind you of others, the roles in the play are filled and the actors do what is expected of them.

I will talk more about Larry at some point, on reflection across my career I can honestly say that he became the best "boss" I had ever had and if you had known the guy, you might think that was a strange thing to say, but nevertheless, there were character traits in this man that I grew to respect.

There were still times however when I wanted to murder him...

...and if you had known the guy, you might think that was a normal thing to say 

No comments: