Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Notice.

Friday, 20th May, 1994

I had a version of Direct Access version 5.0 running on my IBM computer, which was possibly the most underpowered desktop PC in the building, but an absolute treasure for me with its ability to bypass the cumbersome office typing system with Wordperfect and the convenience of the beloved spreadsheet clone "Aseasy 123" that held my mortgage ending logic.

The urgency of the situation seemed to be heightened for some odd reason, and I composed my letter of notice simply at first, but then thinking about it, and I think we all do, I wanted to explain a little more the reasoning behind it all, you know, to get my point across.

Sigh!

In retrospect, for every one of us, making marginally political statements in letters of resignation is such a temptation, but in my great wisdom here as I approach my sixtieth year, I think we should all just move on and keep our reasons to ourselves.

However, in that moment of composing my magical words, I wanted to vent just a little.

I will see if I can dig out my copy of that note and post it here, because I bet parts of it are hilarious.

Anyhoo, as I was typing away, the Chief came up behind me and said something like "I can see that you're busy, but I'd like you to come back to my desk shortly for a meeting regarding your responsibilities on the Global Express work now that Ken Marlton has gone"

Great, Responsibilities, that's music to every permies ears.

I think the letter of resignation was sitting on my screen at the time but apparently the Chief did not see it, I nodded nervously and the meeting was arranged for eleven o'clock.

The race to get my point across was on...

No comments: