Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Long time no chat.

Monday, May 9th. 1994

I could tell the person on the other end of the office phone line was smiling like a Cheshire cat, or should I say a Lancashire cat.

"Hello me old fruit"

It was Larry Abram, the stress office manager at Menasco Aerospace, and we had not exchanged a single word in three years, yet just hearing the old farts voice made me smile.

"A little dicky bird told me that you'd be wanting to come back and do a bit of jobshoppeurism"

I worked out quite quickly that the little dicky bird would have been Ken Marlton, and apparently Larry had phoned him and offered him the job first (yes, the ongoing story of my career) but as Ken had his own plans to leave Dowty he had refused, but told Larry that he thought that young Weldon was pining for the fjords once again.

That's the way I remember it anyways.

It was a short conversation really, Larry wanted me to come back to the fold and be paid "direct" and he assured me that there was plenty of work this time, some issue with the Fokker 100 and a mountain of MRB work to do.

"You don't mind lowering yourself to do a bit of MRB do you?"

No comments: