Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Tranny

I'm downloading a bunch of my well listened to albums into my cheap and cheerful MP3 player at the moment, another of those items that is nice to have but really, I don't have a need for.

In the tunnel of time there have been quite the few music players through these chubby little fingers and I still have the (not so tiny) transistor radio I bought in September 1974 with my first or second apprentices paypacket from the Ford Motor Company.

The Philips transistor radio was a Long and Medium Wave radio, and alone in my tiny Essex digs I could tune in to Radio Luxembourg or even the pirate station Radio Caroline and listen to what the outside world was listening to.

It is a precious memory, and although some parts of my early life transition into working life had their sad moments, the ability to buy such a wonderous device, with my own money, in fact almost all of my weeks wages, was my choice, and it felt good.

I'm not trying to come off as it was better then than now and that the "tranny" was better than this MP3 player, just for the likes of me, some of the magic over time has been lost, and its a shame that a lot of my fave tracks on the MP3 player cannot be reset back to a time when I had not heard them yet.

I'll talk further about this later, however, one final point, who in China decides what minute fonts to put into instruction booklets nowadays?, I could put up with bad spelling, bad grammar and nonsensical statements, but please lets all decide to use a 12 point or higher font "just for the old uns" out here who may want to begrudgingly use one of your products without needing a magnifying glass.

No comments: