Thursday, August 28, 2008

Vamooshed

Its a sad reflection of the ravages of time that a lot of the items that I struggled to make with my own hands in my apprentice years are gone.

The EITB technical apprenticeship block release gave us all workshop and classroom experience, initially I thought that the whole thing was a joke, mainly due to the boot camp type feel, what seemed like ridiculous tasks and supervisors who were, to say it mildly, bastards.

The first weeks in workshop involved basic cutting and filing techniques, the infamous "square block" test that drove almost every apprentice insane but allowed the early stars to rise.

Not me.

If something could be done wrong the first time, that would be my job and usually when I'd finish, my own sense of achievement was elevated.

Which is puzzling, as all those articles have been lost in the quicksand of time, I have no recollection where my toolbox went, my clamp blocks and many other sweat equity items have vamooshed into the atmosphere.

Mind you, I've also no idea what my mother did with my Action Men.

Cling on to what you hold dear.

No comments: