Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Epilog

The final trip to California started on the 4th of June, 1986 and I found myself, once again, in building one at McDonnell Douglas, this time as a visitor to support the Critical Design review.

I had found Graham Miller at his desk, he had a cheeky grin on and I knew exactly where he was coming from, he finally had his California moment which I had stolen from him almost eighteen months before. It seemed right that he should experience this world and I hoped it had a similar life changing effect on him.

On the weekend I met up with Nancy at Hof's Hut and somehow tried to make sense of it all, I knew I'd upset her terribly and that upset me and in some ways I wished that the whole America thing had not happened.

In other ways though, I wished it could all be restored back to those first months of our relationship before any of the distance or heartache, however, it was over and we both cried over a lost love, perhaps a little more than we should.

I drove her home and as she walked away from the car I finally acknowledged that she, and perhaps America, were out of my life.

No comments: