Monday, September 21, 2009

Second Date

It was Tuesday the 5th of March, and I convinced Ray to phone Stacey to arrange a second night with the girls, we were standing in the pool hall at Oakwood Apartments and I was bouncing around behind him and trying to listen to the conversation at the other end.

It was hilarious as the first encounter between Nancy and myself had not gone down too well, I was my usual annoying self and I have a long track record of making a very bad first impression. It seemed that once again that was the way, as I heard someone, that I assumed to be Nancy, in the background saying "nooo, noooo way!"

It was possibly Rays skill that saved the moment as he sort of indicated that we were a double act and could not be split up, in the end, I believe Nancy reluctantly agreed to attend as long as she could keep me at arms length.

The Thursday arrived and we met them at the Jolly Roger, things were pretty cool between me and Nancy, and when I say cool, I mean sort of towards the icy zone. I offered to buy a drink and she insisted on having something called a Mai-Tai which arrived in a huge glass with half a pineapple on the top.

It was fine though, after couple of those hugenesses the evening warmed up, a bit, and we had some fun and a good break from the technical life. A conversation with people that didn't include engineering terms and a feeling that we could be normal for a while.

No comments: