Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Delaying the Inevitable

It was the end of January and APPH had not paid me seven days holiday money that they were supposed to, an event that derailed my money management somewhat.

I had an interview at Gullick Dobson of all places on February the 10th, the job was for Project Engineer and I kept it all very secret from the lads, I joked in my diary that I was scattering the soil from the escape tunnel in the office and nobody had noticed.

The interview went rather well, which is usually a bad sign, however I came out of the place feeling more confident about life and myself, all I needed was a car to potter around in.

A letter arrived a week later, a typical form letter saying thank you and we will keep your information on file and, to make matters worse, Graham Miller was off to California on the T45TS program.

On Friday the 21st I told my boss, Bob Morris, that Gullicks had offered me the job, it was the first tactical gamble I had made in my career and it scared the hell out of me, it started a chain reaction that rapidly elevated me to the long overdue first level of the S2 grade.

Within three months I was at the next level and before my birthday in October I would be an S3 grade.

However, it was all too much, too late.

No comments: