Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Canadian Music

I was standing in the waiting room at the dentists office near to the Oshawa Centre, the transistor radio was playing in the backgound and "one of those songs" came on that occasionally makes you go and buy the album of a complete stranger.

It was "Levity" by Ian Thomas.

This was the second time this had happened in a short time, the other artist was a chap called Gowan who grabbed my attention with a song called "Moonlight Desires" with support vocals from some unknown singer called Jon Anderson...

It was June, 14th and we drove to Ontario Place, downtown Toronto. The venue was the Forum, which was an open air concert arena and we watched this guy Gowan, who was the same age as me, live for the first time, it was a remarkable night, filled with wild dancing on pianos, and I knew that we would see him live again.

Canadian music, of course, was everywhere and it was refreshingly rock and roll when compared with the pop based British scene, other solo acts such as Kim Mitchell, Tom Cochrane and even Allanah Myles had a new edge that crept into my ears and changed my musical direction.

No comments: