Monday, October 12, 2009

Cold Light of Day


The motel was the usual two double bed arrangement, a TV that hardly worked and the usual facilities.

It was to be our home for the next few weeks, Karen, who was jobless of course, was to live here, make herself scarce when housekeeping came around and wait for me to come home at the end of the day.

This first morning, I ventured across the road to a little cafe and ordered a couple of coffees and two bacon butties, although I must have been talking in a foreign language with the second bit as it took three or four variants of the words to get the message across.

I was searching for the phrase "two toasted bacon sandwiches" which seems straightforward now.

The early morning scran was well received and my ride arrived to take me into Ajax.

I waved goodbye to Karen, apprehensive about the day and sad that I was leaving her on her own in this frozen wilderness.

No comments: