Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Letter

July, 20th, 1987

The letter was dated the 20th but didn't arrive until the end of July, about a week after Cantech had contacted me.

A couple of the highlights were that "the starting date is urgent due to recently awarded contracts and we would urge you to commence discussions with the Birmingham Consulate as soon as possible" and a chilling repeat of a Menasco type statement "The position, as offered, is dependant upon you obtaining Landed Immigrant Status through the Canadian High Commission" and then went on to say I should not sell my house or terminate my present employment until that was obtained.

I had learned that it was all in the details, the horrible experiences with Menasco and McDonnell Douglas had taught me not to take anything for granted, so I accepted the offer, started the process with the consulate, yet still kept everything secret from workmates, friends and family.

No comments: