Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Voice of Reason

June, 13th, 1988

I had met so many people over the previous months and I had been placed in a high traffic area of the office, facing the personnel department (as they called it back then, later to be Human Resources when we all became faceless automatons).

The Queen mother, as Graeme mentioned in the last post, was our nickname for the head chicken in the personnel department and she had a secretary that had no volume control on her particular clucking, of which I had the very close pleasure of on a daily, if not hourly, basis.

So, Along came Jones as I said, not the cowboy from the Coasters song, but a Scottish chap from Bell Helicopter, I think he had been there for quite a short time after entering Canada and obviously decided that the rolling hills of Ajax were a better bet.

Graeme and I became close friends over the years and in my opinion, "chance" meetings never happen as this frugal chappy arrived at my desk at the very beginning of my "age of enlightenment" regarding money.

No comments: