Monday, October 5, 2009

One Step Forward, Two steps back.

The process to obtain Canadian Landed Immigrant status was to be taken seriously, for all I knew the man behind the desk already had a thick dossier of information on me, I realised that every question he asked seemed to carry weight.

Medicals were required, at approved facilities with designated physicians, including a set of chest x-rays and all sorts of blood work, I think the nearest centre was somewhere in Manchester, however, all of that was lost long ago in the grey matter.

It seemed that everything was straight forward and the man stated that the paperwork would not be completed until the marriage certificate was presented, although there was no real rush for that as the entire process may take up to three months.

He then leaned forward, his face went back to the impassive mode and asked that one weighted question.

"So, have either one of you been married before?"

I said yes and he tutted and said that I should have ticked divorced or widowed in the status area. He then did the trademark swivel in his chair to his left and opened the filing cabinet, extracting three forms he said:

"You will have to have these filled in then"

I looked at them, and besides a whole new bunch of items required (divorce papers etc), one of the forms appeared to indicate at the bottom that for me to go off and have a lovely life in Canada, I would have to obtain complete approval from my far from loving ex-wife.

No comments: